For the second time, during the annual conference of EUSEM, there will be a pre-course on Geriatric Emergency Medicine. Organised in collaboration with the Eureopean Geriatric Medicine Society (EuGMS).
For more information, go here: https://www.eusemcongress.org/en/programme/precourses/geriatric
During the weekend of June 8th-9th 2019 representatives of the European Task Force on #geriEM met in Antwerp, Belgium to initiate a new #geriEMEurope endevour. A European guideline on Geriatric Emergency Medicine was drafted and planned.
Left to right: Jacinta Lucke (the Netherlands), Aine Mitchell (Ireland), Defne Zerrin Dundar (Turkey), Anna Ramovs (Slovenia), Rosa McNamera (Ireland), Arjun Thaur (UK), Pieter Heeren (Belgium), Christian Nickel (Switzerland), Laura Blomaard (The Netherlands), Mehmet Karamercan (Turkey), Bas de Groot (The Netherlands), Simon Conroy (UK), Simon Mooijaart (the Netherlands), Terrenc (Hong-Kong)
As European Task Force for Geriatric Emergency Medicine, we have laid down a mission and goal in a statement. The mission and goals were formally approved by both the European Geriatric Medicine Society (EuGMS) and the European Society for Emergency Medicine (EUSEM). A clear sign of one of our basic principles: #geriEM is about collaboration and multi-disciplinarity!
To read the editorial in EJEM: click this link
To view the statement: click this link
During the annual conference of the European Geriatric Medicine Society (EuGMS) in Berling (Octobter 10-12th 2018) there will be interesting #geriEM activities:
Friday October 12th 2018
10:30 hrs: Symposium “Geriatric Emergency Medicine: Old Patients in the New World”
Location: Room 4
- Dr. Faisal Aijaz, Leisester, UK. “Embedding frailty in ED and its impact on patient care.”
- Dr. Yvonne Schoon, Nijmegen, the Netherlands. “Measuring Patient Reported Outcome is feasible in Older Patients attending the Emergency Department.”
- Dr. Els Devriendt, Leuven, Belgium. “The URGENT CARE model and unplanned ED revisits”
12:00 hrs: Meeting of the #geriEM special interest group
Location: Room B95
Everybody who is interested in #geriEM is welcome to join!
During EUSEM 2018 a precourse on Geriatric Emergency Medicine was held, with great evaluations. The precourse consisted of interactive
table top discussions and scenario’s and was fully booked. The faculty was an internation team of geriatricians, emergency physicians and physician assistants from three countries. Topics included polypharmacy, end-of-life care and delirium. Because of this success, during EUSEM 2019 in Poland the Geriatric Emergency Medicine will be organized again! Keep track of the website for further information.
During EUSEM 2018 there will be a new and exciting hands-on pre-course on Geriatric Emergency Medicine!
For more information on the goals, tutors and program, go directly to: https://www.eusemcongress.org/en/programme/precourses/geriatric
During the International Conference on Emergency Medicine 2018 in Mexico City (June 6th – 9th), the European Task Force on geriEM will actively contribute to the Geriatric Emergency Medicine track:
Wednesday June 6th (Room 4, 14:00 hrs)
- Potentially Inappropriate Medications in Geriatric Patients Presenting to the Emergency Department and the Role of Clinicians (Sushen Sun, USA)
- Trauma in the Older Adult: when everything is life or death (Alejandro Moya, Costa Rica)
- Depression in Older ED Patients: What it looks like and how to find it (Ian Sammy, UK)
- Frailty in the ED (Diana N. Lemus Galván, Mexico)
- The 10 commandments of Geriatric Emergency Medicine (Christian Nickel, Switzerland; Simon Mooijaart, the Netherlands; Jacinta Lucke, the Netherlands; European Task Force GeriEM)
Thursday June 7th (Room 4, 14.15 hrs)
- Developing International Standards for the Care of Older People in Emergency Departments (Brittany Ellis, Canada; Don Melady, Canada; Simon Mooijaart, the Netherlands, European Task Force geriEM)
- Moving Towards Integrated Emergency Care – First Steps (Judy Lowthian, Australia; Peter Cameron, Australia)
- Addressing the Challenge of Appropriate Triage Prioritization in Older ED Patients (Micheal Bullard, Canada)
- Implementation of a Geriatric EM curriculum for year sixth medical students in Thailand (Jiraporn Sri-On, Thailand)
- Accrediting Geriatric EDs: Launching the accreditation system (Kevin Biese, USA; Chris Carpenter, USA; Don Melady, Canada)