The GEM Special Interest Group of the EuGMS met during the EuGMS conference in Heslinki, Finland on September 20th 2023.
Updates were discussed, by SIG co-chair Stephen Lim
- a GEM curriculum is being designed for Ambulance personnel
- the guidelines are being translated in more and more languages
- the series of Podcasts is now online
- the flasmob FEED study, led by James van Oppen, is being analyzed, some preliminary data were discussed. More to follow when published!
There were interesting discussion among attendants on how to organise #geriEM care in view of the challenges of shortages in personnel and money and in different healthcare setting.
During the EUSEM conference in Berlin, Germany, there are several #geriEMEurope activities, which will take place on October 16-17, 2021, open to conference delegates. We hope to see you there!
October 16, 2022
8:30-13:00; Precourse Geriatric emergency Medicine
13:00-14:45; Emergencies in the elderly – How to improve the quality of care in your ED https://cm.eusem.org/cmPortal/searchable/eusem22/config/normal#!sessiondetails/0000004140_0
14:55-16:20 Emergencies in the elderly – Bring your problems and ask the experts
October 17, 2022
10:00-11:00; Geriatric emergency Medicine Section meeting (Room R3)
During the EUSEM conference in Lisbon, Portugal, there are several #geriEMEurope activities, that will all take place on October 28th 2021, open to conference delegates. Hope to see you there!
8:00-12:15; Precourse Geriatric Emergency Medicine
13:00-14:30: symposium ‘COVID and the elderly patients’
15:00-16:30; Symposium ‘Geriatric emergencies: Old patients – new insights
17:00-19:00 GEM section meeting (on location)
We are glad to announce that during the annual conference of the EuGMS to be held in Athens and online October 11-13th 2021 there will be two events by the Special Interest Group on Geriatric Emergency Medicine.
geriEM SIG meeting
- Tuesday October 12th from 9.00am to 10.30am CEST
- Everybody interested is invited to join thought the conference portal
- During this meeting the GeriEM Posters will be presented
geriEM Symposium: Making impact in Geriatric Emergency Medicine across Europe: launch a series of guidelines
- The symposium is available on demand & online for conference delegates
1. The why, how and what of European guidelines on Geriatric Emergency Medicine
Simon Mooijaart, The Netherlands
2. European guideline on Geriatric Emergency Medicine – Age and frailty adjusted risk stratification
Bas de Groot, The Netherlands
3. Official launch of the series of guidelines: next steps to create impact across Europe
Stephen Lim, UK
We look forward to seeing you!
Great news for Geriatric Emergency Medicine around the world: the Silver Book II is out now.
The Silver Book II (edited by Profs. Simon Conroy, Chris Carpenter and Jay Banerjee) was written by leading international experts in frailty, among whom many European physicians and nurses who are part of geriEMEurope. It is hosted by the British Geriatrics Society, addresses a wide range of urgent care issues specific to older people. Aimed at clinicians and other healthcare professionals working in emergency departments and urgent care, this updated resource is presented in a highly accessible digital format and is free of charge.
For more information please refer to the website of the BGS: click here.
A collaborative Delphi study of the European Task Force for Geriatric Emergency Medicine, available open access: click here
We hope you are all doing well! We are glad to invite you to the Special Interest Group meeting on Geriatric Emergency Medicine (GEM) in older people that will be held during the EuGMS 2020 E-Congress. The meeting will be organized on Friday October 9th 2020, from 10.30 to 12.00 CEST.
The following topics will be discussed during the meeting:
- Brief round of introductions
- #geriEM and COVID: initiatives around Europe
- Publication of the GeriQ-ED (Schuster et al.)
- Update on ongoing projects
- European Research Agenda on GeriEM
- Education/guidelines initiative
- Future plans, European Task Force with EUSEM, others
- Any other business
Please let us know if you want to participate and send an email to info@geriEMEurope.eu. The meeting will be open to SIG members and to any other congress participant willing to join. You will access the meeting from the EuGMS E-Congress platform, www.eugms2020.online, from the section dedicated to SIGs (Main Hall and EuGMS Community). The meeting will be on Zoom and you will not need any specific code or ID to access, you will be directed to the meeting simply by clicking on the name of the SIG.
We hope to see you Friday Oct 9th!
The next meeting where the European Task Force on #geriEM will work on the European Guidelines on Geriatric Emergency Medicine will take place during the weekend of May 9th – 10th 2020 in Leiden, the Netherlands.
Great GEM section meeting during EUSEM in Prague! With guests from the USA and Canada!
During the EuGMS conference in Krakow, Poland, the special interest group had an inspiring meeting. Lots of opportunities were discussed and new collaborations. Also the European Research Agenda on #geriEM was presented and the ongoing initiative an guidelines.
Make sure to be there (again) next year in Athens, October 7-9th 2020!