During EUSEM 2018 a precourse on Geriatric Emergency Medicine was held, with great evaluations. The precourse consisted of interactive
table top discussions and scenario’s and was fully booked. The faculty was an internation team of geriatricians, emergency physicians and physician assistants from three countries. Topics included polypharmacy, end-of-life care and delirium. Because of this success, during EUSEM 2019 in Poland the Geriatric Emergency Medicine will be organized again! Keep track of the website for further information.
During EUSEM 2018 there will be a new and exciting hands-on pre-course on Geriatric Emergency Medicine!
For more information on the goals, tutors and program, go directly to: https://www.eusemcongress.org/en/programme/precourses/geriatric
During the International Conference on Emergency Medicine 2018 in Mexico City (June 6th – 9th), the European Task Force on geriEM will actively contribute to the Geriatric Emergency Medicine track:
Wednesday June 6th (Room 4, 14:00 hrs)
- Potentially Inappropriate Medications in Geriatric Patients Presenting to the Emergency Department and the Role of Clinicians (Sushen Sun, USA)
- Trauma in the Older Adult: when everything is life or death (Alejandro Moya, Costa Rica)
- Depression in Older ED Patients: What it looks like and how to find it (Ian Sammy, UK)
- Frailty in the ED (Diana N. Lemus Galván, Mexico)
- The 10 commandments of Geriatric Emergency Medicine (Christian Nickel, Switzerland; Simon Mooijaart, the Netherlands; Jacinta Lucke, the Netherlands; European Task Force GeriEM)
Thursday June 7th (Room 4, 14.15 hrs)
- Developing International Standards for the Care of Older People in Emergency Departments (Brittany Ellis, Canada; Don Melady, Canada; Simon Mooijaart, the Netherlands, European Task Force geriEM)
- Moving Towards Integrated Emergency Care – First Steps (Judy Lowthian, Australia; Peter Cameron, Australia)
- Addressing the Challenge of Appropriate Triage Prioritization in Older ED Patients (Micheal Bullard, Canada)
- Implementation of a Geriatric EM curriculum for year sixth medical students in Thailand (Jiraporn Sri-On, Thailand)
- Accrediting Geriatric EDs: Launching the accreditation system (Kevin Biese, USA; Chris Carpenter, USA; Don Melady, Canada)
The European Task Force on #geriEM has initiated an initiative to compile a European Research Agenda on #geriEM. A prioritised set of research questions will help to increase impact of #geriEM research throughout Europe and the world.
Please go to the questionnaire here! It will only take you 1-2 minutes to fill it in!
And feel free to share with any professional (individual or organisation) working in or nearby Geriatric Emergency Medicine across Europe: physicians, nurses, GP’s, therapists, hospital administrators.
In Januray 2018 Springer published the text book on Geriatric Emergency Medicine. The book was edited by Christian Nickel (chair of EUSEM GEM section), Abdel Bellou (former chair of EUSEM GEM section) and Simon Conroy (former chair of EUGMS GEM Sig). Many member of the European GeriEM community contributed to the chapters. Check it out here!
For the second time, during this years’ EUSEM conference in Glasgow, we will organise a pre-course on Geriatric Emergency Medicine. Stay tuned for more information!
During the EUGMS conference in Berlin, we will organise a Symposium on Geriatric Emergency Medicine. Stay tuned for more details.
On Tuesday October 24th 2017 Leiden GEM Conference will take place in Leiden, The Netherlands. Over 150 registrations by physicians, nurses, scientists, and policy makers for a program of 13 interesting speakers on #geriEM promise an intersting day.
More information: www.leidengemcon.eu